The Osun State Government on Thursday confirmed 17 new cases of COVID-19 in the state.
Revealing that two of the cases came from the Redeemer’s University in Ede, the state government however said that their travel history are yet to be ascertained.
The state Commissioner for Health, Dr. Rafiu Isamotu, in a press in Osogbo, the state capital also revealed that three of the previous cases had been discharged after testing negative for the virus.
Isamotu, who said six new cases were discovered on Wednesday night after the discovery of an earlier seven cases, disclosed that another 11 were discovered on Thursday.
According to him, all the cases had been taken into isolation and treatment centres in Osogbo and Ile Ife.
Isamotu also disclosed that some of the latest cases clearly had contacts with previous cases in the state, adding that the surveillance team was still working on ascertaining where others had contracted the virus.
The commissioner, who warned citizens and residents of the state to always obey COVID-19 guidelines, said: “It is true we are carrying out massive and comprehensive contact tracing, but our people must take responsibility. We are already appearing to be putting up lackadaisical attitude.
“The virus is still very much with us. We must observe precautionary measures if we must avoid community transmission. We must in addition to all other precautionary measures use our face masks always. We must also put an end to travelling up and down. The ban on inter-state travel is still in force.
“With the latest development, the number of our active cases as at today, Thursday, June 25, is 32. We have 84 confirmed cases, out of which the State has successfully treated and discharged 47 patients while five deaths have been recorded.”