By Carlos Mekontchou
- A country with no future is a country in which corruption, embezzlement of public funds, the cult of mediocrity, the violation of laws, the cult of personality, the disrespect of the law and impunity are erected in governance mode.
- A country with no future is a country in which the leader is a leech who clings to power against the will of the people.
- A country with no future is a country in which the leader is a creator for a small group of supporters who worship him as a “pagan god.”
- A country with no future is a country in which recognized thieves are appointed to positions of responsibility.
- A country with no future is a country in which simple civil servants are multi-billionaires.
- A country with no future is a country in which state-owned enterprises and ministries are managed as private assets by members of the presidential clan, without the president being moved. On the contrary, they appoint them to other positions after their forfeits
- A country without a future is a country in which all great achievements are foreign “donations”, the fruit of cooperation with other states or even loans from international brettonwood institutions. IMF, BM, C2D etc. We have to wonder if we are incapable of setting up projects ourselves, mobilizing funds to finance them ourselves without expecting anything from others.
If we take the example of Cameroon, the best primary schools are Japanese donations. The best high schools in terms of infrastructure are Canadian donations (Canadian technical high schools, there are 6 in Cameroon), large hospitals are the fruit of cooperation with China. The first and only highway, the douala – Yaoundé, even if it is lagging behind, is financed by a Chinese bank. The one and only sports palace in Yaoundé is built by China. To cite only these few examples.
What is the use of even petroleum money?
- A country with no future is a country which produces little, which transforms nothing and expects everything from the West. No industrialization policy.
- A country with no future is a country in which there is no reliable health system, hospitals are dying of fears avoided by all, especially by the leaders themselves who prefer to go abroad for treatment.
- A country with no future is a country in which values such as solidarity, sharing do not exist. In which tribalism has raised its bed.
In the current state, one can safely say that the future of sub-Saharan Africa is seriously threatened. Our only hope for a bright future is a radical change at all levels.
(The utopian dream of a better Africa.)